Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Playing Catch Up

Great cartoon by Dan Wasserman of the Boston Globe, reprinted in the IHT.


Hamas winning the elections also puts Lebanon in a precarious position regarding the Palestinian "guests" and their guns question. We now have yet another envoy to tackle that situation. I love all this high-level mediation that does absolutely nothing except raise the profile of the envoy and ultimately ends with them trying to force-feed Lebanon some crap solution.
PM Saniora said after a meeting with Egyptian president Mubarak (who is sponsoring the mediation: "Palestinian weapons in the camps should be brought under control and there is no reason why they should leave these camps."

How about "There is no reason why Palestinian weapons should be in the camps at all."? Works for me.


Also, a wonde
rful Beirut headline states: "Extraordinary Parliament Session May Lead To Heated Political Debate." and it wasn't in The Onion.
Doesn't that tickle anyone's funny bone? Am I just blinking in the dark here?


And this story about a Kiwi dog food company wanting to send food aid to Kenya made me laugh uncontrollably, although it's really not that funny.

Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Boston Globe cartoon is a masterpiece!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Mustapha said...

the Naharnet headline is definitely TheOnionish, but this is Naharnet

Anonymous said...

Hi Desmond,
Sorry no blog of my own so I will have to post the "7 things" here.
Here goes

7 Things to do before I die

1) Change my passport (present one is full & has been for over a year !!)
2) start a business
3)learn excel
4) Eradicate BLOGS from this planet
5)Be able to have lunch in Cabane in winter
6)Be a chef
7) be able to say "I can eat or drink what I want, I just dont put on weight!!!"


7 things I can NOT do

1) Have lunch in cabane in winter
2)maths
3)post on my own blog
4)see England winning the world cup
5)jog
6)save money
7)figure how to get jammed paper out of a photo copier


7 Things I say

1) whats the story
2) I have no idea
3) bollox
4) for fuck sake
5) sorry
6) Ive lost more then that !!
7) Ive put on a bit I suppose !

7 Books I love

1) Jaws
2) Tuesdays With Morrie
3) Godfather
4) Adrian Mole (when I was younger)
5) Jarhead
6) The Don Simpson Story
7) Anything(well most) Robert Ludlum

7 movies I love

1)Godfather 1&2
2)Legends of the fall
3) Prince of tides
4) Dead Man Walking
5) Shawshank Redemption
6) Usual Suspects
7) Platoon

7 things that attract me to .... Dublin

1) Home
2) Gibneys
3) chicken balls & curry sauce
4)Superquinn
5)being an ex-pat
6) weather in summer (long evenings, BBQ in back garden with pints of Bulmers
7) Friends

Anonymous said...

7 things to do before I die:

Have Children.
Go to Petra in Jordan.
Go to Maine in the US
See my house in Longford finished.
Run for election.
Have a Trip in a Hot Air balloon.
Watch Dublin win back to back All Irelands

7 things I cannot do:

Speak Arabic
Keep my temper
Walk on water
Stop singing when I’m drunk
Understand the Logic behind doing Sudoko
Understand Women
Go shopping just for fun.

7 things I say:
Are you going for a pint.
Pint please.
Just one more.
Slan Go Foil.
Throw me the remote.
You’re Joking
I’d love a cup of scald.

7 books I have loved: (
McCarthy’s Bar – Pete Mc Carthy
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Shooting Sean – Colin Bateman
The Parsifal Mosaic - Robert Ludlum
Michael Collins: A Biography -Tim Pat Coogan
Resurrection Day Brendan DuBois

7 movies I have loved:
The Goonies
Lord Of The Rings 3 parts
Apocalypse Now.
The Godfather I
The last samurai
Princess Bride
Shawshank Redemption.

7 things that attract me to.....Lebanon….

Skiing.
No closing hours.
No driving Laws
NO LOGIC
History
Lebanese Women( The most beautiful in the world after Irish).
Lebanese optimism